Thursday, October 6, 2016

Changed Relationships

Here's a topic that I will probably write a lot about. So this is kind of like an introductory post. But, again, if I waited until I had it all written perfectly, that would be never. There's so much to say so I might as well get started.

Changed relationships.

Sigh...

I had no idea my experience with infertility was going to change every single one of my relationships.

In retrospect, I understand that you don't go through trauma and emerge the same person, so of course it seems obvious to me now that all of my relationships would change.

But for years, while I was going through it, I was so hurt and confused. And lonely. Very, very lonely. Not only was I grieving the loss of a dream every month, but I was grieving the loss of my relationships as I knew them.

It's easy to be friends with someone when they live or work nearby, when their life is going well and they have lots of warmth and energy to give, when they are asking nothing from you in return, and when they are available for whatever you need.

I know, true friends will always be there. But, the fact of the matter is, between work schedules, traffic patterns, and the demands of living an adult life, convenience is a factor that plays into friendships.  Plus, it's always good to have things in common or to be in a similar place in life, and most people either have kids or aren't trying to have them. Not many people live in infertility limbo land. They just get pregnant and have a baby.

And it's not just friendships; relationships among my family members changed too. There is so much I can say on this whole topic of changed relationships that I know I will just ramble about it every now and then. Needless to say, it was one of the hardest parts of infertility for me. Aside from not becoming a mom.

Every single relationship in my life either got stronger or faded away. Fortunately, my marriage got stronger.  And two friends in particular stand out as awesome supports. They were always available for my true self (even if one of them lives in another state), and they both always allowed my sadness yet also succeeded in making me laugh. I started seeing a counselor, which was immensely helpful, and she told me that having three strong people to count on in time of crisis was actually a lot. So I am very, very thankful.

I still miss a lot of my old friends, but I wish everyone well.

I am now busy rebuilding my own life and that is a good use of my energy.

Life is hard. Life is beautiful. Life goes on.

Until the next time I ramble... Be compassionate to yourself and take care.  -L

2 comments:

  1. I just love this: "Life is hard. Life is beautiful. Life goes on."

    So very true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this post. This resonates with me so much. Thank you so much for writing this. You have no idea how much this means to me as I'm in the middle of navigating relationships. I would say the only person I have is my husband who really understands. I do go to Resolve so I do have interactions with people in our situation, but haven't had close friendships formed from it. As I was crying reading your blog and writing this comment, my two dogs came up to me and are currently cuddling with me. So I have three beings who are there for me unwaveringly: my hubby and two dogs. So three people is a lot! What treasures of friends you have. Hold on to them tight. - S from https://delayedbutnotdeniedblog.wordpress.com (I don't know how to comment as a Wordpress user. The system won't let me use my Wordpress account.)

    ReplyDelete